This weeks Bike Of the Week is a 1912 Shaw. This rarity was manufactured by Stanley W Shaw from Galesburg, IL. Shaw as a successful light auxiliary engine manufacturer in the early 20th century. In 1911, Shaw took over the Kokomo Motorcycle factory from Kokomo, IN. Kokomo had produced a 300cc side valve machine that had not been very successful simply because it was underpowered. Shaw transferred the production back to Galesburg and enlarged the engine to 400cc. Between 1912 and 1920, approximately 240 Kokomo Shaw motorcycles were sold. The 1912 Shaw Motorcycle actually began as a kit similar to the well known Whizzer motorbikes.
After 1920, the company concentrated on the production of tractor appliances. In 1962, the business was sold to John Deere.
Stanley Shaw was not the first to offer engine kits for bicycles, but his company certainly lasted longer than most of the other manufacturers. The Shaw motorcycle attachment (240 cc single cylinder engine) was widely advertised and sold throughout the country for 12 years.