Bike Of The Week

1913 Excelsior Velocipede

Written by Motorcyclepedia

This weeks Bike of the Week is a 1913 Excelsior converted into a Velocipede. Bob Cantrell of Marganton, Georgia had owned this Excelsior Rail Inspectors Velocipede since 1956. He remembers seeing it Kurt Thomas’ store when he was eight years old.

Kurt had explained that this Velocipede was converted from the original 1913 Excelsior that Lindbergh traded-in on his Jenny Airplane in 1923.

As recently as 1992, Bob Cantrell had spoken to Charles Lindbergh’s original flight instructor, Glenn Messer. Messer was the flight instructor that “Soloed” Lindbergh in Americus, Georgie. He became an aircraft instrument manufacturer in years to come. Messer recalled that the motorcycle was traded to Solomon Motors in Macon Georgie to a broker by the name of J. Wyatt.

Wyatt had purchased the entire “Jenny” surplus from the US government, including engines and complete airplanes.

This information was verified in 1993 by Ron Snaverly.

Details on the Excelsior twin motor include B&G spark plugs and intensifies, both of which are aircraft origin.

There is no record of the year whrn the Excelsior twin motorcycle was converted to a rail road Velocipede. After it was traded in, the conversion was professionally done for the time, probably by the rail road repair shop in Macon.

 

Rail Road Velocipe in Action!A little over a year ago we were able to get the Velocipede up and running for the day!Bob Cantrell of Morganton, Georgia had owned this Excelsior Rail Inspectors Velocipede since 1956. He remembers seeing it in Kurt Thomas’ store when he was 8 years old.Kurt had explained to Bob that this Velocipede was converted from the original 1914 Excelsior that Lindbergh traded in on his Jenny Airplane in 1923.There is no record of the year when the Excelsior twin motorcycles was converted to a rail road Velocipede. After it was traded in, the conversion was professionally done for the time, probably by the rail road repair shop in Macon.

Posted by Motorcyclepedia Museum on Sunday, June 7, 2015

About the author

Motorcyclepedia